Friday, January 22, 2010

First Semester Reflection

During my time in this Global Ed. English class I have learned many things, from Rwanda to Australia. I was very satisfied about what I had learned in this class and how much more open to new ideas I am. The main things I learned about were Rwanda, Australia, South Africa, and how to write a good essay. These all gave me important values and ideas that could be used later on in life. Like to help me get a very good job and have a good life.
The first thing I learned about was how to write a good essay I was not overly good at first, but with the things I learned that I need to make a good essay really helped. The first thing I learned about was how to eliminate clutter from my writings. This helped me write more clearly and get to the point of my essays. Next I learned about using pathos and ethos to help per sway my reader to agree with what I want them to do. By far the most important thing I learned was how to transition and support my essays. This helps make my essays not jump around and stay on topic with good support for that topic.
The next thing I was taught about was Rwanda and the genocide that went on there in the late 1990s. I learned how an untied people could turn on each other in an instant without realizing what they were even doing. Rwanda’s Tutsi and moderate Hutu population was devastated by what had happened to them. While watching the movie Hotel Rwanda I figured out how nobody was willing to help the Tutsis from the Hutu extremists. They were too preoccupied because of what had happened in Somalia to even consider seriously helping the Rwandan people.
During my time in Global Ed. English this semester we had two debates about a story, “Man in the Well”, and the Rwandan Genocide Debate. Both of these debates were very helpful in learning about what was really going on in both situations. During the Man in the Well debate I learned you do should see the bigger picture not just the tip of the iceberg. During the Rwanda debate I figured the U.S. and other influential countries did not do all they could to stop the situation.
Still by far my favorite way to learn was watching the videos that my class and I were watching in both Global Ed classes. They gave me a better and less boring understanding of what I was learning about South Africa, Rwanda, and Australia. My favorite of the three movies I watched was The Power of One. The main reason was so I could work on my combinations; I will never forget that assignment! On a more serious note I look forward to watching more movies in the future.
The last ways that helped me was the blogs; margin notes, weekly articles, and Q.C.V.Is Blogs were a good way to help me practice my writing skills. When I margin noted the papers that were given to me I could grasp the reason of the paper easier because of the notes and questions I wrote down. The weekly articles were another good way to refine my writing skills just like the blogs. The Q.C.V.Is, just like the margin notes, was a way to better understand what I was reading. I can say I learned a lot over this semester and all of I was a way to improve myself at writing, and am glad I learned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment